Are there more than 2 genders

Updated on December 29, 2020 in Politics
6 on October 17, 2020

I believe that there are only two genders/sex but for people that don’t agree with me they say gender and sex is different. I wouldn’t like to know how do I can be informed.

• Liked by
2 on October 24, 2020

I believe that until they turn 16, they have to be either a male or female. There is no way of identifying a baby as anything other than male or female. So, when they turn 16, they get to decide what gender they want. Whether man, woman, trans or other.

on October 25, 2020

Ok but why 16. Like why not 18 or 14 when most youth hit puberty

on November 3, 2020

OP’s take is weird in the way it projects sexuality onto children. I’d say they aren’t male or female until age of consent, but more that the gender of a person below the age of consent doesn’t matter beyond their personal feelings. If a 12 year old claims to be a different gender than their biological sex just laugh and ignore them. They will figure it out over time.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
2 on November 3, 2020

By this point in time gender has taken on socialized meaning of being separate from sex. Biologically, yes, you’re right. There are only 2 sexes. However, what most people refer to as gender is different from biological sex. If you view transgenders as presenting a different gender than their biological sex, which at this point is hard to argue, then a biologist might argue that a trans-woman (bio male) presents a separate gender than the traditional male or female. Gender has become something non-binary even if tradition contradicts this. Personally, a better question than “are there more than 2 genders” is asking “is gender meaningful in a post-gender-binary society”.

on November 28, 2020

Chromosomes don’t lie and neither does basic biology. Facts don’t care about your feelings so go cry in a corner because I’ve been cooking you in every debate we’ve had or you’ve replied too

on December 29, 2020

Okay so that viewpoint is called Trans Medicalism and fails to acknowledge certain contemporary understanding that are politically controversial but not scientifically. So, while there are good arguments for wiggle room on the chromosomes thing, I think that’s distracting from your original question of “are there more than 2 genders?”
Essentially your definitions for sex and gender seem to be very similar if not synonymous, but the side you’re arguing against seems to see them as referring to different things. Any debate that doesn’t clarify definitions is going to be messy. Using the current scientific definitions of sex and gender the answer to your question seems to be yes, there are probably multiple “genders”, but that doesn’t change that there are only 2 “sexes” and intersex outliers.

P.S. – I haven’t been through all my replies but I wasn’t aware we’ve had any back and forth until now. Now from what I’ve seen so far we’ve only agreed so if you’ve cooked me I have yet to see it. Honestly though please go in on me whenever you like, I enjoy having someone willing to challenge my ideas. I’ve honestly been mostly happy with your replies. Please take another look. Also good Ben Shapiro meme my guy, very four digit IQ.

Show more replies
  • Liked by
Cancel
Loading more replies